Audience Segmentation Email Workflow for Drip
Segment your subscribers by asking a question via email
This workflow helps you learn about and segment your audience by asking them a question. A multiple choice question is asked by sending an email with a link for each answer. When an answer link is clicked the value is stored in the subscriber's record in Drip.
Example Use Cases
The example used in this template is a simple email that asks a multiple choice question of 'What is your favorite pet?' with the answer choices being Dog, Cat, Fish or Bird. When the subscriber clicks on the link corresponding to their favorite pet, that value is saved in the favorite_pet custom field.
Here are a few examples of ways the favorite pet responses could be used:
- To personalize future emails with a relevant dog/cat/fish/bird image.
- To determine future product/content direction based on the overall audience results.
- To follow up with more specific questions based on the pet type.
1 Workflow Triggers
This workflow has no pre-configured triggers. You can add triggers inside the workflow after installing it or add subscribers to the workflow from other automations.
2 Custom Field Checks
This workflow stores the subscriber's answer in a custom field. The first thing the workflow does when a subscriber enters is to check if that custom field has already been set. If it has, the subscriber exits the workflow without being sent the question email.
3 Question Email
A one-off email is sent with the question and each answer as an individual trigger link.
Each answer link is attached to a word or phrase (in this example Dog, Cat, Fish, and Bird) and is configured to match one of the trigger links in the workflow.
4 Trigger Link Goals
Each trigger link has a goal that is activated when the subscriber clicks on it.
In this workflow the act of clicking on a trigger link is more important than where that link actually points, but the link still needs to take the subscriber to a URL. The best place to take the subscriber would be to a thank you page where you can tell them what to expect next (e.g. are you going to send them an email based on their response? or do they get some other benefit for answering?).
The second best option is to send them to a generic thank you page. Finally, if you don't have a thank you page that you can point the trigger link to, sending the subscriber to your home page would still be better than a broken link.
I highly recommend that when you customize your trigger links, you use terms that are easy to tell apart. In this example I use a query parameter of the answer (e.g. https://lcfermi.com/thank-you?dog). This URL will bring the subscriber to lcfermi.com/thank-you and ignore the query parameter. The query parameter is useful when configuring the email answer links because you choose the trigger links based on URL and the query parameter makes it easy to tell them apart.
5 Triggered Actions
When a subscriber clicks on an answer the value is stored in the subscriber's record and they exit the workflow. If you want to take additional action(s) there are two spots in the workflow to add them. For an action that should trigger based on a specific answer, add the action on that answer's branch right below the action to set the custom field (orange squares in the image below).
If you have an action that should be triggered when the subscriber answers the question regardless of which answer they chose, then add the action right above the workflow exit node after the answer branches have recombined (green circle in the image below).
Steps to Install and Customize this Workflow
- Sign up using the form above to get the workflow installation link
- Install the workflow into your Drip account using the provided link
- Update the name of the custom field in the decision at the beginning of the workflow
- Click on each trigger link goal and update the URL to point to a thank-you page
- Update the custom field name and value for each answer path
- Delete any branches for extra answers that you are not using
- Open the one off email and update the text for each link
- Double click each answer link and make sure they are pointing to the correct trigger links
- Customize the rest of the email
- Add any triggers for the workflow
- Start the workflow